The upholstery on this antique chair was water-stained and outdated and the dark wood wasn’t a cheerful addition to our sunroom. Solution? A new paint job and bright fabric in place of the murky gold/green covering.
1. I removed the old braid from the entire chair and also removed the fabric from the top portion of the front in order to have a template to cut new fabric. I chose a small red check to add to the red accent color in the run room.
2. I painted the chair with one can of Rustoleum Flat White Enamel. Instead of re-upholstering the back of the chair, which was still in good condition, I also spray painted the fabric. The result is a canvas-like effect.
3. I covered the seat first. Cut the fabric larger than the surface to account for the depth of the cushion and to give you enough material to fold the edges under. This makes for a nice clean edge. I then tacked the edges down well using small upholstery nails and a tack hammer.
4. Do the same for the top front of the chair. The one place that gave me a problem was the seam between the seat and the back/front. I pinned the fabric in place but I’m sure there is a better way to secure it. If you know of a way, please comment below. All other seams were tacked securely but the depth of this seam did not allow me to connect with something secure to attach the fabric to. The small parts of the top/front were also difficult to pull tight without being able to secure the bottom better so the smoothness is not as nice as I would like it.
5. The final step is to glue on new braided trim which I found at Hobby Lobby. I used an all-purpose glue stick and hot glue gun to do this.
I am still learning. This is my first attempt at upholstery. Because the chair was given to me, the project cost about $20 for fabric, paint, glue sticks and trim. It provides additional seating in our bright sun room.