The large chapel porch has a new coat of paint. It was a daunting task with so much gingerbread trim and lattice work. But the family crew did it together to the sounds of The Drive oldies on the radio. It took three gallons of white stain and several paint brushes and mini rollers. Now the porch looks like a wedding cake, which is appropriate since it has seen over 2,000 weddings…and more to come.
It was fate when I found a Schwinn Spitfire at a flea market in Wisconsin and a bike basket at a garage sale in Illinois. They were meant to go together. Our son thought I was buying it to pose on the front porch. When I began riding it around the village, he said, “But you are not wearing a helmet!” I almost told him I didn’t wear a helmet when I was a kid either–none of us did. But then, he will eventually be my care giver so I figure he has some say in the matter.
June is my favorite month for flowers in the garden. Perhaps that is why brides like it so much? The peonies are hard to beat, but when the oriental and field lilies begin to bloom incandescently, they take the starring role.
ORIENTAL LILLIES – HARDY PERENNIAL BULB
LARKSPUR – A SELF-SEEDING ANNUAL SHARING SPACE WITH PUMPKIN VINES
CLEMATIS – A PERENNIAL THAT LIKES ITS HEAD IN THE SUN AND ROOTS IN THE SHADE
Plants that are self-sufficient make my gardening experience much easier–ones that perennially emerge and those that plant themselves from last season’s seed. I enjoy the color and show and let them grow where it is convenient while spending most of my time on the vegetables and herbs. Flowers among the pumpkins make me smile.
Double Pink Peony
As the peonies slowly “go over” for another season, I want to take a moment to enjoy the sweet scent and pearly beauty of this double pink peony. The aroma is a cross between the rose and carnation, with over-tones of baby powder. If you are fortunate to have doubles of this hardy perennial, you are doubly blessed. The bloom is large with so many layers of petals it resembles a powder puff. The silky sheen of the petals reminds me of the delicate pink interior of an oyster shell.
To enjoy the blooms as cut flowers, gather them early in the day after they have just bloomed. Older blooms quickly disintegrate after being cut. This flower can also be successfully dried for floral wreaths. Also cut only new blooms for drying and quickly hang them upside/down in small clusters using rubber bands to bind them. After fully drying, attach them to wreaths using a hot glue gun. They resemble dried roses.
Peonies transplant well and are not finicky about quality of soil. In order to produce a number of blooms, however, they need full sun to half-day sun. And do not worry about those little brown ants crawling over the blooming heads. The nectar they are gathering causes the seal to break on the flower head to allow the petals to unfurl. God’s creation is perfectly balanced.
TEN THINGS NOT TO DO IN THE END TIMES IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE PROPHECY
- DO NOT RECEIVE CHRIST AS LORD AND SAVIOR
- DO NOT WATCH FOR THE RAPTURE OF THE CHURCH.
- DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THE MILLIONS WHO DISSAPEAR WERE RAPTURED TO BE WITH CHRIST
- DO NOT BELIEVE THE NEW WORLD ORDER IS THE EVIL, GLOBAL SYSTEM OF THE TRIBULATION
- DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THE NEW WORLD ORDER LEADER IS THE ANTICHRIST
- DO NOT “BUG OUT” WHEN THE ANTICHRIST PLACES AN IMAGE OF HIMSELF IN THE JEWISH TEMPLE IN JERUSALEM
- DO NOT REFUSE TO TAKE THE MARK OF THE BEAST–666
- DO NOT BELIEVE CHRISTIANS WHO SAY THE MARK IS ALLEGIANCE TO SATAN INSTEAD OF YOUR TICKET TO ENTITLEMENTS
- DO NOT BELIEVE THE WORLD IS GOING TO HELL AND SELF-DESTRUCTION WHEN THE WAR, EARTHQUAKES, AND CATASTROPHES KEEP INCREASING.
- DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THE ONLY DELIVERANCE FROM DESTRUCTION IS THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS CHRIST–IT IS ALL THE JEWS’ FAULT.
- JOHN 14:6
- LUKE 21:28; TITUS 2:13
- 1 THESSALONIANS 4:13-18; 1 CORINTHIANS 15:50-58; JOHN 14:1-3
- REVELATION 13; 17; 18
- 2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-12; DANIEL 9:27; DANIEL 7:19-25
- MATTHEW 24:15-21
- REVELATION 13:16-17
- REVELATION 13:18; 14:9-11
- MATTHEW 24:4-8; REVELATION SEALS, TRUMPETS, BOWL JUDGMENTS CHAPTERS 6-19
- MATTHEW 24:22-30; ZECHARIAH 12, 13, 14; REVELATION 12:13-17
TO LEARN MORE:
- SPIRITUAL PREPPING FOR THE RAPTURE by Sharon L. Clemens – Amazon.com, soft cover and digital
- WHEN THE LAMB STANDS – A HANDBOOK FOR THE STUDY OF REVELATION by Sharon L. Clemens. A User-friendly Verse-by-verse Commentary on the Revelation that Unlocks the Last Book of the Bible – Amazon.com, soft cover and digital